Familia

The lady on the bottom left, Jeanette Ahenke, is my home stay host. She had her family over for a Sunday morning get together. She's amazing and has brought me into her family. We exchange stories about our homes, families and cultures over the dinner table every night. The boy to the right of her is her grandson Mateo, who will be living at the house for a month. Mateo is visiting Bolivia for the first time and lives in Virginia. Whenever I have an urge to speak English, I can talk to him.
I called my Dad today for Father's Day. For me, the largest sacrifice made while traveling for an extended period of time is losing time with family. It's only been a few days, but I already miss my family and the people of Pasadena and Berkeley. Fortunately, I have a Bolivian family too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

 

Meet The Author

Jarrod Zenjiro Suda | College of Letters and Science, Class of 2016 | University of California, at Berkeley | Major in Development Studies | Minor in Global Poverty and Practice |